SDI as a well-known standard within the last three decades has played a major role in the broadcast production and distribution chain. This point to point communication standard enables a safe infrastructure and a high-quality improvement in received audios and videos. On the other hand, due to the lack of flexibility, during the changes in technology, SDI increases the costs for changing all the main equipment and hardware. Also, other problems, like the volume of cabling and the high amount of time spent on creating the necessary infrastructure, make everyone’s attention to the use of this IP infrastructure as the main foundation of signaling.
On account of the major investments done in the current broadcast studios, it’s not practically possible for a sudden transit to IP, and it has to be done gradually.
Because of the importance of the transition from SDI to IP in the broadcast industry, and a bright future ahead of it, Haguenet Engineering Co. has introduced its related products towards creating an IP based studio, offering strategies under the title of “IP Domain Strategies”.
- Subjects related to delays, jitter or packet loss
- Challenges related to network security and penetration
- Finding communication problems and solving them is more difficult in an IP base rather than SDI
- Implementing “Clean Switching” is more complicated in network base
- In “Live” features, it’s necessary to highly manage IP network delay
- It’s essential to train new related skills and concepts to the broadcast industry’s technical engineers and technicians
- Because of the gradual process of the transition, it’s important to intelligently manage the hybrid networks
At a Glance
IP based Studio